From the Sea to the Mountains
Explore with us the south of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, The highest coastal mountains in the world, and discover one of the most beautiful beaches in Colombia, see colorful fish, coral reef, experience the rain forest in the mountains with endemic birds, streams, waterfalls, bamboo forest, beautiful views and learn about the organic coffee process.
At 7:15 a.m. we drive out of Cartagena towards Tayrona National Park to visit a beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in Colombia where we can swim and do snorkeling. At 1:30 p.m. approx., we have a typical lunch. At 3:30 p.m. we leave the beach to go towards Minca. In this town we can enjoy the sunset as well as views of Santa Marta city and its bay. The evening time is free, to explore Minca by yourself, to have dinner out or just to relax at your accommodation.
Approximate driving time: 6 hours.
Approximate boat time: 10 minutes.
At 8:30 a.m. we leave our accommodation to visit a coffee plantation where we learn about the Coffee making process. After the coffee process tour, we do a hiking in the bamboo forest to reach a stream with crystalline waters from the Sierra Nevada. At 1:30 p.m. we have a unique lunch with a local family. At 2:30 p.m. We go back to Minca to take a cocoa tour. The evening time is free, to explore Minca, to have dinner out or just to relax at your accommodation
Approximate driving time: 1 hour.
Approximate hiking time: 3 hours
At 6:00 a.m. we leave our accommodation to take a birdwatching tour. At 12:00 p.m. we have lunch. At 1:00 p.m. we go back to Cartagena.
Approximate driving time: 6 hours.
Approximate hiking time: 3 hours.
The Sierra Nevada f Santa Marta is a group of mountains separated of the Andes, with their snowy peaks, Colón and Bolívar, which are the highest in Colombia (5.775 m) situated just 42 km from the coast. The Sierra Nevada is the highest sea coast mountain chain in the world. These mountains slopes offer a diverse and complex ecosystem and an unique ecological niche on the planet.
The steep slopes of Santa Marta Sierra Nevada plunges into the sea like the fingers of a gigantic hand, between which there are bays and estuaries of singular beauty: Chengue, Gayraca, Cinto, Neguanje, Concha, and Guachaquita all with golden sandy beaches bordered by rocky atolls, mangroves, thickets and forests are bathed by the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean.
At the present, nearly 30,000 members from the Kogui, Arhuaco, Kakuamo and Wiwa (Arsarios) cultures live there. They are descendants of the Tayrona culture, a complex and interesting indigenous societies of pre-Hispanic America. They have a special connection with the Sierra Nevada.
- Explore the Tayrona and Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta Natural Parks.
- Discover one of the most beautiful beaches in Colombia.
- Hike to Discover natural treasures in the highest coastal mountains of the world.
- Explore a coffee farm and discover the organic coffee process.
- Discover de Cacao process.
- Discover some endemic birds species in the Sierra Nevada
- Departure from Cartagena: 7:15 a.m.
- Duration of the tour: Three days and two nights.
- Private trip.
- Departures: On request.
- Language: Spanish, English.
- Private transportation (Car & boat)
- Trip leader.
- Two breakfasts.
- Three lunches
- Accommodation for 2 nights.
- Snorkeling equipment.
- Coffee-making process tour.
- Cocoa tour.
- Birdwatching tour.
Does not include:
- Hydrating beverages.
- Services not specified in the plan and personal expenses.
Physical requirements & restrictions:
An average level of fitness and mobility is required to take this trip. Travelers must be able to walk without the aid of another person.
Due to the nature of the activities undertaken in this tour, pregnant women, children under 10 years old and minors unaccompanied by their parents or legal guardians are not allowed.
- Take your personal medication.
- Bring water.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat.
- Bring a day pack to carry personal items.
- Bring comfortable clothes and swimwear.
- Pack your clothes in a small bag as space is limited in the vehicle.
- Bring only what is necessary to avoid carrying too much weight.
- Bring clothes for 23 °C approx. in the night.
- Llevar zapatos cómodos para caminar y chanclas.
- Bring a towel.
- Bring comfortable clothes (shoes, flip-flops, long pants and t-shirts).
- Bring a light rain jacket.
- Bring insect repellent.
- Bring a flashlight
- Health and vaccination: see, the www.colombia.travel website.