The Jaguar´s Footprint
Overview: Explore with us the Montes de Maria and discover its nature, history of an ancestral people and the culture that comes from three races.
At 5:30 am we drive out Cartagena to the Montes de Maria. Here we do hiking to discover the flora, the fauna and some petroglyphs left by indigenous people from this region. At 12:30 p.m. approx., we have a typical lunch of the area. At 2:00 p.m. approx., we visit San Jacinto to learn from this region about it history, its culture and its amazing music through a traditional music workshop. At 3:00 p.m., we return to Cartagena.
Approximate driving time: 4,5 hours.
Approximate hiking time: 3,5 hours (4 miles).
The Montes de María (MM) is a sub-region of the Colombian Caribbean. The MM is composed of mountains whose highest point is about 1,000 meters above sea level.
The Sanctuary of Flora and Fauna Los Colorados is located within the Montes de Maria. This sanctuary is a protected area of great ecological importance because it is one of the last remaining dry forests still intact in the Montes de María. It has around 280 species of birds and 44 species of mammals among which is the red monkey. The fauna and flora of this ecosystem (Dry Forest) is one of the most threatened ecosystems in the world.
The Montes de María also is a benchmark of artistic and cultural traditions of the Colombian Caribbean.
- Explore the Montes de Maria region.
- Hiking to Discover the flora, the fauna and petroglyphs left by the ancestral people of this region.
- Feel the region´s culture, famous because of its gastronomy, its music and its history
- Departure from Cartagena: 6:00 a.m.
- Duration: 12 hours (Approx,)
- Small group trip.
- Departures: On request.
- Private transportation.
- Typical lunch.
- Trip leader.
- Hiking tour with a local guide.
- Cultural Tour in San Jacinto.
Does not include:
- Hydrating beverages.
- Services not specified in the plan and personal expenses.
Physical requirements & restrictions:
An average level of fitness and mobility is required to take this trip. Travelers must be able to walk without the aid of another person.
Due to the nature of the activities undertaken in this trip, pregnant women, children under 10 years old and minors unaccompanied by their parents or legal guardians are not allowed.
- Bring your personal medication.
- Bring water.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat.
- Bring a day pack to carry personal items.
- Bring comfortable clothes (shoes, long pants and t-shirts).
- Bring a light rain jacket.
- Bring only what is necessary to avoid carrying too much weight.
- Bring insect repellent.
- Health and vaccination: see the www.colombia.travel website.